Arkansas has the highest maternal mortality rate and the third-highest infant mortality rate in the nation. This is a crisis requiring a multifaceted approach that addresses the entire birthing journey, from pre-pregnancy through delivery and into the postpartum period. This infographic depicts what that journey for new mothers should be in order to achieve better maternal and infant health outcomes.
- Office on Women’s Health. (2021). Preconception health. womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/you-get-pregnant/preconception-health
- America’s Health Rankings. (2022). Health of women and children [Data set]. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/health-of-women-and-children
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). Guidelines for perinatal care, eighth edition. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://www.acog.org/clinical-information/physician-faqs/-/media/3a22e153b67446a6b31fb051e469187c.ashx
- March of Dimes. (2022). Prenatal care. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://www.marchofdimes.org/peristats/data?top=5
- Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, Office of Health Policy. (23 December, 2022). Doula care and maternal health: an evidence review. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://aspe.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/documents/dfcd768f1caf6fabf3d281f762e8d068/ASPE-Doula-Issue-Brief-12-13-22.pdf
- ACOG. (2014). Safe prevention of the primary cesarean delivery. Obstetric Care Consensus, Number 1. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/obstetric-care-consensus/articles/2014/03/safe-prevention-of-the-primary-cesarean-delivery
- Arkansas Center for Health Improvement. (2023).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Breastfeeding report card. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/reportcard.htm
- ACOG. (2018). Screening for perinatal depression. Committee Opinion, Number 757. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/committee-opinion/articles/2018/11/screening-for-perinatal-depression
- Prenatal-to-3 Policy. (2022). Arkansas roadmap summary. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://pn3policy.org/pn-3-state-policy-roadmap-2022/ar/
- ACOG. (2018). Optimizing postpartum care. Committee Opinion, Number 736. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/committee-opinion/articles/2018/05/optimizing-postpartum-care
- Arkansas Maternal Mortality Review Committee. (2022). Legislative Report December 2022. Retrieved March 5, 2023 from https://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/images/uploads/pdf/Final_2022_MMRC_Legislative_Report.pdf
- AAP. (2022). AAP schedule of well-child care visits. Retrieved February 2, 2023, from https://www.healthychildren.org/English/family-life/health-management/Pages/Well-Child-Care-A-Check-Up-for-Success.aspx
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2021). Quality of Maternal and Perinatal Health Care in Medicaid and CHIP: Findings from the 2020 Maternity Core Set. Retrieved March 5, 2023 from https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/quality-of-care/downloads/2021-maternity-chart-pack.pdf